Saturday, April 18, 2015

Birds along the Yamaguchi Coast


y80682

This past Spring while walking the Chugoku 33 Kannon Pilgrimage I took a walk along the Japan Sea coast of Yamaguchi,  It's a particularly fine stretch of coast with azure seas, outcroppings and cliffs, small islands and a lot of small fishing villages. Here are some of the birds I saw. The first is a heron. Sagi in Japanese, maybe its a Grey heron, maybe a Great Blue......

y80725

Lots of cormorants. I am guessing that they are Temmink's Cormorants, the most common kind, known as Umi-u in Japanese, though there are some other species which visit during migration. The difference among the onbes in the photo may be due to age and gender.

y80558

Lots of Kites, Black-eared Kite being the common species here. Known as Tombi in Japanese.

y80757

More cormorants.

y80730

This is, I believe, a Blue Rock Thrush, but I have no idea what it is called in Japanese.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to see this Japan Sea coast of Yamaguch, really.
    Springtime and birds!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Rock Thrush is called Isohiodori (イソヒヨドリ) in Japan. I will attempt to paste a handy link: http://www.okinawa-kaeru.net/wild/bird/isohiyodori-2.html

    Cheers,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete