Thursday, July 15, 2010

Vacation 2010 Day 4: London

I spent the afternoon and evening in London before spending the night on the floor of Stansted Airport ready for a cheap flight to Stuttgart.

lon2183

I grew up less than 100 miles from London, yet I have spent little time there. I don' t think I've even spent a night in London , just short visits, usually on the way to and from the airport. So I don't really know London outside of a few of the major tourist sites.

One surprise for me was Westminster Cathedral, Not to be confused with the famous Westminster Abbey. Its a very ornate Catholic Cathedral not far from Victoria Bus Station, and unlike its famous namesake, entrance is free. It was built in the first years of the 20th Century and has some interesting mosaics.

lon2217

In my memory, London was always an expensive place to travel around, but nowadays there are plenty of ticket options that make it much more affordable. Of course The Tube goes pretty much everywhere.

lon2239

A different perspective of the Millenium Bridge....

lon2247

I usually try and visit the Tate Modern when I am in London. The biggest museum of modern art in the world, housed in a recycled power station, a world-class museum with free entrance. One can easily spend a week or more in London just visiting great museums that are all free.

lon2280

I tried to go to the National Museum just on Trafalgar Square, but got there too late, so spent some time sitting among the fountains counting the number of different languages I could hear being spoken by the tourists passing by....

3 comments:

  1. love your images and the way you capture light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really impressive images, they give a 3D feeling!thanks/domo arigat gozaimasu for sharing...

    ReplyDelete