Wednesday, August 15, 2018

The last shrines in Tokushima


After leaving Saba Daishi I headed off down the coast on my 11th day of walking along the Shikoku Pilgrimage. By the afternoon I will have crossed over into Kochi Prefecture. I stopped in at every shrine I passed, as is my habit.


Shrines are great spots to take a rest in the shade. Even in urban areas they are quiet and peaceful. The architecture can be interesting and I'm always searching for stories and legends, and it is  at shrines are where you can find signs of them.


The art,... the statuary, masks, etc can also be quite diverse and yet something else I seek out....


And of course there are the trees..... shrines are often home to the oldest trees in the area. All in all I visited more than a dozen on this walk doewn the coast of Tokushima....


2 comments:

  1. Sounds almost like a zen pilgrimage to me... Thanks for sharing, Jake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a Buddhist pilgrimage... a few of the temples are zen

      Delete