Shinshoji, temple number 25, is only a few kilometers north of number 24, Hotsumisakiji on the tip of Cape Muroto.
According to the legend it was founded by Kukai in 807 who is also credited with carving the honzon, Jizo.
The ships wheel is a motif that appears around the temple and the many small jizo statues are holding a ships wheel. According to the legend the local lord was saved from shipwreck by Jizo who took the helm.
The temple was destroyed in the early years of Meiji but rebuilt in the 1890's. It belongs to the Shingon sect.