Sunday, November 10, 2013

St. Francis Xavier Memorial Church Kagoshima


k8397

The St. Francis Xavier Memorial Church is the cathedral of Kagoshima and is located in downtown Kagoshima. It was opened in 1999 to mark the 450th anniversary of his arrival in Japan. It replaced an earlier church built to mark the 400th anniversary.

k8657

Just across the street is a memorial buiot using stones from an earlier church.

k8407

Unusual for japan it has a nice big pipe organ.

My hotel was only 2 minutes away so I was able to revisit late on a sunny afternoon to take advantage of the light streaming in through the stained glass.

k8662

I quite enjoy visiting churches in Japan because they are not all that common.

I think this one is my favorite in terms of the interior.

k8663

My favorite church exterior would have to be the Xavier Memorial Church in Yamaguchi.

k8666

1 comment: